Friday, November 30, 2012

Bali Escapade Part 8

After riding in the rain, reached my villa, took a warm shower. I am settling down in bed to watch a romantic comedy. I am not a fan of romantic movies. Give me conspiracy theories, war or horror movies!

Asked my wife what we were watching, she told me 'Life As We Know It'. Never even heard of the movie title before man!

But surprisingly the show was actually quite good! In fact it made me see my business in another light.

Read the full synopsis of the movie here.
The movie was about a couple and their single friends. The husband tried to pair his best buddy with his wife's best friend. Well the resulting effect is funny as they never really hit it off the first time they met, though the husband and wife was sure they were meant for each other.

The show started getting interesting when the husband and wife were both involved in car crash and died. The daughter they had was fortunately left with the babysitter. Both their single friends rushed to the hospital and they eventually met up with the couples lawyer.

The lawyer told them that the deceased couple had insurance for the mortgage of the house and nothing else and they have left the custody of their daughter to the both of them. They could  also move into their house. Imagine 2 single with no intention to settle being stuck in a situation like that. They went through a lot of sh*t, but eventually like all Hollywood romantic movies they lived happily ever after.

I enjoyed the movie but also left me with loads of questions. I know I am covered slightly more than 1 million dollars upon my death, my wife knows too (sometimes I sleep with one eye open just to ensure my wife does not try and kill me in my sleep :p .. just kidding Ling) but more importantly, does she know what to do if death was to occur to me? Even if she does, will she be in the right frame of mind to do it? What if we get knocked down while we are on the scooter or the plane crashed, nobody will know I have this coverage. Nobody will know who will take custody of the children. What will happen to them then?

I buy coverage because I know my wife and kids still need the income I am providing now when I am dead. I buy because life is unpredictable as we know it (though many people still do not think so), therefore we expect the unexpected, thus Murphy's Law. Whatever can happen, will happen.

Too many times we turn the newspaper and you get articles telling you perfectly healthy people dying or contracting illnesses. Whether premature death or illnesses is going to happen or not is unpredictable, therefore I choose not to control the unpredictable but control the predictable in unpredictable. 

Wah! So deep!

Unpredictable: 
  1. Premature death
  2. Illnesses
  3. Accidents

Predictable: 
  1. Loss of work/ income
  2. Hospital bills
  3. My share of the household expenses
  4. Kids' education
  5. Inflation
  6. Liabilities
  7. Emotional anguish
I know I cannot do anything for item 7, but I know if I can take care of item 1-6, I do not add on more anguish financially.


The movie opened another paradigm for me. So what if I have planned for my predictable during the unpredictable when there is no predictable someone to execute it when I am gone? Who will be that someone? I have been to will writing talks but the movie actually hit it home.

Went to bed with those questions in my head, glad that we have already planned to go Ubud the next day. Don't think I could have planned much with those questions in my head. 



Have you planned for your unpredictable? Have you asked yourself the above questions? 

Let me know if you are.

Email: tngjinyau@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment