Friday, November 30, 2012

Bali Escapade Part 7

The rain never came and dinner has arrived. An old friend had left a comment on my check-in in Bali, telling me to visit Ultimo in Seminyak. I also recalled reading about it in tripadvisor. The truth was I did think to myself that I came to Bali for Italian food? Decided to suggest to my wife and she was all for it.

I was also kind of worried that the price for anything western on the island was going to be exorbitant. Well figured its our honeymoon stop being the financial planner and start living, enjoy the holiday. And so off we went to Ultimo.

We walked into Ultimo and the service there was excellent. We were shown our table by one of the waitress to our table which is in the air conditioned area. The lighting was dim but not dark. Had tealights on all the tables. The waitress was bubbly and handed us the menu. Looking at the ambience and all the place looked classy. I flipped open the menu and my eyes skimmed the price first. It was unbelievably affordable. The pizza cost less than $10 sing dollars! Damn you cannot even buy a pizza at Pizza Hut!

Don't get me wrong, I am not a cheapo.. Its just that I dare to say I am competent in preparing western cuisines and pastas are my specialty. I make a killer plate of pasta in white wine sauces. I also ensure that my pastas are prepared Al Dente. So I never like indulging in western food cos many a times I think I can do better. So I usually do not mind paying for chinese or japanese cuisine.

But for less than $10 a pizza, heck this is small risk! I ordered a soup and a main course. My wife ordered only a main as I have also said we order a pizza to share. The waitress took our orders and asked if they should serve the soup and pizza first. Yeap sounds like a plan!

She left to place our order and returned with a basket of bread and butter! Wa, I cannot use words to describe the breadsticks in the basket. The bread too was solid! Warm too. Before I could finish the breads the pizza and soup came. I had this sudden fear that we have ordered too much. The pizza is not those personal pan pizza you get at Pizza Hut but a full size one which may be able to feed 4, and we still have mains!

Even though there was a long queue at the front of the restaurant our waitress came and asked whether she should bring our mains after we were done with our soup and pizza.

In Singapore, the waitresses would have  brought out our mains half way through the soup or appetizer, trying to find every available space to put the mains down in the midst of appetizer, clear our plates really quickly and give dirty stares if we chilled longer to chat. Eating in Singapore can be so stressful and uncomfortable some times.

Here at Ultimo, I looked at my waitress who have just cleared my soup and pizza plate and told her while rubbing my tummy: can you give us 10 mins before you bring the mains? Sure! was her reply not a wane in her smile, not a change in her chirpy tone. The whole experience was so comfortable, so cozy. Even my wife agreed.

After chatting for awhile, we decided the food has settled enough for the mains. Asked our waitress for it and once again: Sure!

I am leaving her a tip after this, I thought. Finished our meal and asked for the bill, price was reasonable and when the change came, my wife swiped everything. You not leaving anything? Got service charge, no need to tip. Well, ok. Guess thats fair.... but....

Anyway, I remembered having this discussion with a group of my friends: Is the tipping culture in the states or the 10% service charge we have here better? To discuss this here is not appropriate but that can be another blog post.

Walked out of the restaurant and realised that there was a long line of people waiting for seats. Was glad we came early. Walked towards our scooter and I was thinking of dessert or coffee then BOOM! Thunder and lightning in the distance.

Scrapped the dessert and coffee plan. Anyway, my wife was saying there's coffee in the villa and you also say you will watch a movie with me tonight. Yeah better hurry back, do not want to be caught in the rain. And yes, I vaguely remember agreeing to watch a movie with her, I also know its a romantic comedy.... guess it will not be that bad right? Anyway I don't have my PS3 with me, guess a movie is the only thing to do.

Set the course for our villa on the GPS and rode as fast as we could. Felt a drop of water on my face wondered if its aircon condenser water. Then another drop on my arms then face then arms then figured it cannot be aircon condenser water. In a few seconds it seemed that somebody turned on the shower in the bathroom. Pulled into Circle K, their 7-11 equivalent. Whipped out the ziplock bags that I have prepared from my haversack, feeling damn proud that I have prepared these contingencies. Being a biker who have been to many touring trip up north to Malaysia, ziplock bags are necessities. Stuffed all the electronics in, zipped it up and continued on our way.

Got back to the villa, showered and settled into bed to watch the movie, praying that I will not fall asleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment