Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Bali Escapade Part 1

As a financial planner, I plan for people's future and ensure most unpredictable moments becomes predictable. But on the 11th of October 2012, as I sat in the office, opened up my Google calendar, it hit me! I have been so caught up with other people's planning I totally forgot mine! My 1st year wedding anniversary is a month away and I haven't started planning! (Ling, if you read this, sorry I know I should have started earlier)

At least my plan of having my wedding on 11/11/2011 have worked! I remembered the date. Scambled on the internet, went on one of the budget airlines website searched for flights to Bali, it cost $580. Was about to click 'buy' then I remembered Zuji. Went onto Zuji and found Garuda to Bali was only $596. Duh! No brainer $16 more for 2 pax on a regular flight, bought! Zuji rocks!

Went onto Agoda website searched for a private villa, read the reviews, bought! Agoda rocks too! In fact, I love the internet! We can be our own travel agent! The next one month was a balancing act to plan for my 4 days 3 nights Bali trip and my clients' entire life. No guessing which should take more time. (Sorry, ling :p)

Anyway, the day came for our Bali trip. Alarm clock did not go off. Woke up at 6am which was the time we should be at the airport. Mad scramble to get dressed and get to the airport. Glad we stay in Simei.

Arrived in Bali, saw the whole line of drivers holding names of their guest they have to pick up. Did not find my name. Die! The resort screwed up what a start to our trip! Alarm clock didn't ring, now this! Walked up and down the terminal, thinking of finding somewhere to buy a pre paid card to call the resort.

This whole time I was kicking myself in my head for not confirming with the resort the night before. What an idiot! But its a resort, this is one thing you don't expect right?

Cannot find anywhere to buy the card walked back to the pick up area. Just then my wife saw this guy holding a sign with a name that resembles mine but somewhat distorted. I realise most people see my surname TNG and they think I must have forgotten my vowels.

And for those who still think I have forgotten my vowels, let me set the record straight. TNG is hokkien means soup. Like in cheng tng, the dessert. In chinese 汤. Hanyu Pinyin: Tang.

Got onto our van and we were on our way. And when we finally got to the villa, I heaved a sigh of relief. Now to enjoy some lunch. I have told the resort to prepare a scooter for me, and I had recce the route we came in and saw a nice little quaint warung. I was thinking: later we can take the scooter here. My receptionist said: Sir, your scooter will be coming at 3pm.

Oh no! Not again!

No comments:

Post a Comment