Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Bali Escapade Part 2

In our line of work contingencies is what we plan for and on my own Bali trip, I have thrown caution to the wind and expect every thing to fall into place nicely. My receptionist just told me my scooter is coming at 3pm. Time now 12pm. Sigh! We could wait till 3 then have lunch or we could order in or we could walk.. WALK!?

I was thinking: the warung from where I saw it, did not look very far. I think its possible to walk. Wife said: let's walk. And off we went. I clearly underestimated the distance or it could have just been the sun shining down on us. It was hot! And I mean hot with a capital F! (pardon my language) Look up at the sky and its blue. The road was on a slight gradient up. The walk probably took us 5 minutes thereabout but it felt like 5 hours!

Finally made it to a warung, though not the one I saw earlier as the quaint little one was further down the road. Popped into the first one we saw and sat down. Waited for service but none came. My wife whispered to me and said: I think they only sell one thing here. They see us come in they start preparing liao. True enough, few minutes later this came
Looked at it, looked at my wife. Both of us looked at each other, highly suspicious of what we were about to put into our mouths. I picked up the spoon tasted the soup first. I knew it was going to be salty, just like everywhere in Indonesia, somehow they love their soup salty. But I also love how their soup always taste like Soto Ayam in Singapore.

The salt in the soup numbed my tastebuds. Maybe this is how they eat their food: numb the taste buds so all the food taste the same. I pushed some rice, vegetables, nuts (nuts looked safe), and some weird looking stuff on my spoon, slowly brought it up to my mouth, dreading how bad its going to taste. At the same time, glad I've got travel insurance to cover me in case of food poisoning and all.

As my mouth closed over the spoon, my eyes widened, I stared back at my wife and she was looking at me too with a look! It was unbelievably good! As I started chewing, the nuts added a crunch to every bite. The aroma of the weird stuff and vegetables mixed very well together! Wash it down with Teh Botol! Heaven!

After we finished, we had 1 more bottle of Tel Botol each to prepare ourselves for the walk back and asked for the bill. $35,000 rupiah. That works out to be $5! OMG! Had to ask the server what I just had, he said something like peh peh or pek pek. That sounded vulgar. Looked at my wife as she is Malaysian, hoping to get an answer since she is conversant with Bahasa Melayu. She gave me a shrug. At that moment I didn't care, the vulgar sounding, weird looking stuff was good!

The walk back was not as bad. Downhill and with food in our belly, the walk was better. Had to stop and take a picture as I am sucker for wide open areas.
When we got back to the villa, my steel pony was waiting. The adventure begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment