Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Journey Continues

I started my financial career in an insurance company, I had just done CPF investment with my friend's mom. My boss had told me that CPF monies have just been allowed to invest from the first dollar up and there is a huge potential in getting CPF monies for investments. And after doing the investments with my friend's mom, I started feeling that I should concentrate on doing investments. Its easier and people tend to prefer to talk about investments than insurance.

I myself, on the recommendation of my boss have taken out my own CPF monies and threw it all into Technology. The year is 2001 and Tech was moving down. My boss said, its just a correction. I turned the newspaper and 9 out of 10 analysts said the same thing, its just a correction. They were wrong...

September 11, 2001. I remember this date very clearly. I was sitting down at Fullerton's Gloria Jean's having coffee with my friends when one of them exclaimed. A plane has crashed into the World Trade Center in US. She showed us her SMS. It must have been a flying stunt gone wrong. And soon after another plane. Wa! this stunt very big, I thought. 

I rushed home that night turned on the TV and was glued to it till 7am the next morning. It was unbelievable this act of war in modern times. I thought about my investments and those that have invested with me. How ah? This was also going to be a lesson for me in future. 

I still carried on with my work after and eventually got the 'Most Number of Case' award in my agency. Money was coming in and times spent studying for my final paper for my Degree became less. I was focused on my career instead of my studies. When the results of my examination came, I failed. 

Not surprising... I never studied. I can still remember the times when I got High Distinction for my exams and I was proud to show my parents my transcript though I do not have to. In Primary and Secondary school we needed to show parents our report cards and I dreaded it. I was not a great student. 

The times when I was studying my degree was the time I actually felt proud of my grades. It was the time I was able to shove my transcript in my parents face with a smug look and thinking: I don't have to be scolded by you to score in my exams. 

But damn I just failed my final paper. I had prioritised before and I had told myself education comes first, career second for now. But now I have failed! FAILED! I went home sat down and reprioritised told my boss the next day, I am gonna take 6 months off to study my exams and get my degree. 

I studied full time and 6 months later came back to the industry. By this time, the fire in me has died down. I was like a car that has not been started for 6 months. Batteries weak, engine cold. I went to the office with not much motivation. My boss walked out one day and said, Tang you are going to be a degree holder your opportunity cost sitting in office very high. You better buck up. 

I thought I was becoming a burden to my boss and I quit. I left and eventually joined a bank. And boy was the bank another whole set of crazy experiences. The year 2002.

Looking back, my boss was probably trying to motivate me, guess not everyone is motivated the same way...



No comments:

Post a Comment