Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Birthdays

I want to thank all my well-wishers on my birthday today 22nd May 2013. I just got older. So have you wondered why birthdays are celebrated? Well it seems that there is no real documentation of why Birthdays are celebrated. Though I will like to believe that in olden days, it is a joy to live another year if you have not already been taken by disease. I mean have you seen the average human life span in the early 1900s? People live till about only 40 plus years old. Today life expectancy is easily at 80. That is 40 more extra years!

So why the longer life span? Well with advent of new methodology to detect illness, these illnesses can be arrested earlier and treated, ensuring one live longer! In olden times, people say bless you when one sneeze because it may be the sign of one falling sick. And if you fall sick then, there may be a chance you will not survive. People were dying from the common flu! Today out common flu is treated at our local HDB block GP with that yellow tablet that makes you super drowsy and some can get high on..

So what is the future like in terms of life span? What are new medications that may be invented to treat our diseases? Will we live beyond a hundred? Will somebody invent something that will allow us to live like Benjamin Button after we hit 80? If you have not watch Benjamin Button, it is about a boy who lived his live backwards, from old to young.

We will never know what the future hold in terms of life span. But more importantly at this very moment if we know that our life span is about 80, what have you done to ensure that you will live life to the fullest? What have you done instead of burying your face in front of the office computer from 9 am to 9 pm at night? Have you set down and wrote your bucket list? The things you will want to achieve before death? Have you PLANNED to do those things?

Many of you may wonder why I sound like a pessimist, but I like to tell you 'I am not a pessimist but a planner' I control what I can control and spent less time worrying about what I cannot. I find predictabilities in unpredictables and control the predictabilities.

So when do you plan to retire? Do you intend to spend your whole life working? Those of you who is now thinking Tang retirement very far away leh... think again if you are 20, you only have 60 more years to live. If you are 40, you already lived half your life. If you are 60, I am sorry if you are still working without having the CHOICE not to work, but if you have a choice and you are working just to pass time, kudos to you!

So have you planned that upon your retirement, you can exercise the option of not working? If what I have mentioned is alien to you, please I urge you to make an appointment with your financial adviser, tell them to do a retirement plan for you. If your financial adviser just sells you products then call me, we can sit down and do a plan for your life and if you want to buy products from your adviser after doing your life plan with me, go ahead. I can rest peacefully knowing I have touched another life.

Mine! All Mine! My daughter at 1. Will she live to a hundred?

No comments:

Post a Comment