Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Road Less Travelled

I have sent in a copier to my customer in Tuas and I have just tried to troubleshoot her copier while in my shirt, pants and tie. I feel relieved knowing my technician will be down first thing the next morning to fix her problem.

Went to wok as uual the next day, making calls and doing some paper work. At noon my mobile rang. Picked up the phone and it was my customer from the previous day. Tang, I thought you said first thing in the morning? Huh? You mean my technician not there yet? I asked. No.... Ok ok sorry, I check with my service department and call you back.

Called my service manager. What happen? I thought you said you can send somebody down first thing in the morning? Oh sorry Tang, we had more important customer. I hung up the phone fuming, you mean my customer not important? Walked into the office and told my manager: Send me for technician course. My manager was surprise and ask me what happened. Related the whole story to him and he say cannot like that la, blah blah blah. I am thinking why should I be a slave to the service department, how can I keep my integrity as a person if the people supporting is not helping.

Another customer also called telling me his machine breakdown but this guy is worse he called and told me to send him another new machine as he suspect I sent him a reconditioned one. I already ask you technician to go back. Tang you better get a new machine to my office before lunch if not I call the lawyer. Called my manager, he arranged for my service manager to do up a new machine, recalled the driver back to send the machine. My one minute phone call from a customer resulted in me owing favours to 3 persons, my manager, service manager and driver, who all skipped lunch just to get a machine out to my customer. Sigh I am becoming a slave to the machine, literally!

I had another run in with another customer but that was not as bad, but by now I fear when the phone rings. I dare not look when my phone rings and when its an unknown number I shudder thinking it might be another customer wanting to complain about their machine. It became too stressful for me and that was when my friend from the insurance industry asked me to explore. I said ok though I was a non believer.

My first insurance policy I bought from a friend out of support (too many of us did this). He called me and told me he just joined as an insurance adviser. Ok, do up a plan to set aside for $200 every month. Met him the next day with his boss and he told me: Tang this is the plan but I have to explain. No need where to sign, I said. But I have to... put up my palm in his face and said: just tell me where to sign. I was mean but I wanted to support him as a friend. My father told me before that insurance bluff people one, cheat money. But since my friend joined must support la.

Did the paper work and he left, but the day when I joined the financial industry I called him and apologised and thanked him that he helped me see what I did not see then. I myself have taken the road less travelled.

No comments:

Post a Comment