Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Wait a minute! Did I just heard that?

If you have been listening to the radio while you are driving, taking the MRT or taking the bus, you will have heard the advertisement on radio by Singapore Cancer Foundation. I heard the advertisement on radio and thought to myself, 'these organisations should start realising ads that striking fear in people do not work anymore in a skeptical Singapore.

Saw a similar range of ads by the NKF in the MRT stations and thought the same thing. I usually give these ads a second thought and wonder how effective it has been for Singaporeans to take action. I mean, if we had seen the haze situation most people are reactive rather than proactive. You only do something when something happens. You only buy mask when haze happens. You only think about your spare tire in your car when you get a puncture. You will only study when there is an exam. So I really wonder if these ads were working.

While I was driving yesterday, the Cancer Foundation ad came on again and this time, I actually paid attention. I heard a startling statistic: in Singapore, 1 in 3 adults is diagnose with cancer everyday.. wait wait, just 5 years ago when I was still actively training financial people that statistic is 1 in 5! Its 1 in 3 already!! Damn those odds are better than 4D! I remembered then that the statistic will become 1 in 2 by 2020 or 2030 I cannot remember. So what does 1 in 3 means? Look to the person to your left and look to your right, one of you will be diagnosed with cancer. But you know what, most will still think its going to be the other 2 and not me.

For those who do not think its going to happen to them, I have a proposal for you. Buy me 2 meals with a drink a day everyday (you are very lucky I don't take breakfast, if not its 3 meals a day). If just so happens you are diagnosed with cancer, I will buy you 3 meals everyday thereafter, terms and conditions apply. 

If you want to take up this offer, please email me tngjinyau@gmail.com or call, sms or whatsapp me 9180 3448.

No comments:

Post a Comment