Tuesday, July 12, 2016

I Was Fat part 2

Previously.. I went for a fortune telling session with my friend and was told my size was double. Not only I did not take what the fortune teller said with a pinch of salt, I aggravated it further by joking about it. I was confidently fat.

Then in 2014, I had a friend that invited me to a small little workshop on weight management. I was told everything I needed to know about nutrition and weight management. I was told it all begins with a healthy digestive system. I was told my eating habits of 2 meals a day is one of the reasons I am putting on weight. I was told to do this and not do that. I was told I have to eat more (great!) but reduction of some of my favourite stuff (bummer!). After the 3 hours workshop, I left. In my head I told myself, it's too much sacrifice and I ain't going to do anything about it. I am confidently fat..

I love my food! How is it possible to change that!? I love my rice I cannot eat my veg and meat without my rice! I also need to cut down on my rice??!! Told myself it's impossible and went home.

The next day, there was a notification I was being added in a WhatsApp chat. My friend and a few of the participants from the workshop last night have started a group chat so that they can log their food they are taking and the trainer is able to help suggest food to eat and what not to eat. I was like 'ok, I'll just stay in for the ride. I mean it's kinda rude to leave the chat, right?'

Lunch time, there was a few notification from the group and when I opened the message, there were pictures of everybody's lunch.. fish soup, Yong tau hu, mix veg rice without the rice... Wa! This people discipline sia.. let's go for chicken rice!

While in the lift, I reopened the chat and looked at the pictures and I thought, you know what, if they can eat like that then why not try.. went and have fish soup instead.

Tea time, a reminder to take a snack.

Dinner time, notification came in and there we have again pictures of other people's dinner. Wa.. 'ok la.. try..'

Breakfast.. photos again.. 'ok la.. try..'

Brunch.. snack time..

And the cycle repeat itself. After a week I started to notice my pants were getting loose. After a month even looser. After nine months, I have lost almost 20kgs. Up to just recently, I have people still telling me they think I am still losing weight. Not drastically, but got lose.

I have made new shirts and pants since 2014. I have also been able to fit into some of my old pants that was left in cold storage after I had put on weight.

I had once spoken to a fitness instructor at Amoy food center. It was one of those times when it was really crowded and we had to share tables. This guy in his singlet and shorts asked if he could sit at my table since I was alone. Invited him to sit and got chatting with him. This was in the beginning of 2014 before I went for the workshop. I causally asked him if I needed help with fitness and all , could I call him (actually I just wanted to get a number so that I can follow up with him). He asked me, what is my objective, muscle or lose weight. Told him, lose weight first la, can lose weight then we talk muscle. Actually Tang if you want to lose weight, it's 80% diet, 20% exercise.

Sure or not? You mean it is possible to lose weight without the exercise?! He said it was possible. I did not believe him then. The number of people who are paying gym fees to manage weight is enormous! The slimming centers boss are driving Ferraris and Lamborghini and you are telling me that all you need is to eat right?!

In 2015, I am a believer. I will tell you I lost almost 20kgs by eating right. Though I cannot say I did not exercise cos my job needs me to be walking daily and often throughout the day. I ride a 200+ kg bike and there are articles online that suggest bike riding IS an exercise (so is love making).

Ever since 2015, I have been asked numerous times what I have done to lose the weight. My usual answer change lifestyle... Change the way I eat. The usual answer ... Change the way I eat!! Cannot la!!

This had made me realise that many people know the benefits of losing weight and eating healthy but not willing to make the sacrifice. In fact, there are many people want to achieve but they are not willing to take the pain to get there. They are also not clear what's the objective they want to achieve. They are unsure how they are motivated.

Different people are motivated differently. Some you scold them, they do. Some scold them, they leave. Some people love recognition. Some people love money. Some just want to do things in groups. Do you know how you are motivated?

This experience has also prompted me to dabble into starting a training service provider Mitig8 Singapore. I intend to run holistic training encompassing beauty, health and wealth. I am also currently searching for like minded people to bring this vision forward and if you may be interested please contact me.

Please check out the website, and checkout the programs in store and register your interest. More info will be posted when scheduling is done. Programs can be run in Singapore and Malaysia at this moment. Looking to penetrate Indonesia next. So if you have a damn good idea how to bring this forward, please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment